Can I use Hubs to manufacture weapons or weapons accessories for my project?
Unfortunately, we’re unable to accept orders for the production of weapons, firearms, and any related components or parts, including replicas, toys or fake weapons (fully outlined below.)
This includes any items that are subject to the Export Administration (EAR) Regulations and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What is considered a “weapon?”
- Firearms, firearm component parts, or ammunition, including (1) any device which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (2) any device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive; (3) any component part integral to the safe firing of a projectile by means of an explosive from a device described in (1) or (2); and (4) ammunition including cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm;
- Bladed weapons. This includes knives designed to cause bodily harm and any part or component thereof. A bladed weapon includes automatic knives, knives that are undetectable by a metal detector, stilettos, switchblades, butterfly knives, throwing knives, folding knives, gravity knives, and disguised knives (for example, a sword cane).
- Explosive devices. This includes grenades, rockets, explosives, incendiary devices, missiles, land mines, and related parts or components thereof;
- Toy guns or other items with an arms-like appearance. This includes paintball guns, airsoft guns, training weapons, mock guns, mock weapons, weapon replicas and items that look like a gun or other weapon; and
- Arms-related items and/or weapon accessories. Accessories, parts or components to any weapon if that accessory/part/component contributes to the functioning of the weapon and/or attaches to the item. For example, this includes scopes, mounts and knife handles because they are attached to a weapon, but would not include a knife case or holster because they are neither attached nor contribute to the functioning of the weapon.
What happens if I upload a weapon to the 3D Hubs platform?
We have an automatic detection system in place to alert us of any weapon or weapon-like designs. Our manufacturing partners also thoroughly review designs and specifications and will immediately alert us if a design is likely a weapon, weapon accessory, or otherwise a questionable use of the platform.
Why won’t you manufacture my fake/replica/cosplay weapon? It’s not functional and should be allowed.
3D Hubs is currently headquartered in Amsterdam, in the Netherlands, which has strict legislation relating to weapons manufacturing. Fake or replica weapons fall under this category, as both can (unintentionally) cause harm. Further, it can be difficult to distinguish real weapons from “fake” weapons, so we do not allow either on the platform.
My part is meant to store a weapon or ammunition, it isn’t a weapon itself. Can 3D Hubs produce this?
Weapons accessories include anything that attaches to the weapon itself or is meant to protect the weapon when not in use. If the part doesn’t attach to the weapon, it will be acceptable to manufacture.
This list doesn’t answer my question.
Please feel free to reach out to your account manager, who can offer specialized assistance if it’s unclear if your part can be manufactured by us. You can also reach out to the support team at email@example.com for general questions about these policies. You can also review our Terms of Sale directly.
What constitutes “unauthorized use” of the 3D Hubs platform?
According to our current policies, we’re unable to manufacture the following items due to legal and security restrictions:
- Weapons, weapons accessories, or replicas (outlined above)
- Critical parts for automotive, marine, aviation or medical device
- Parts that violate intellectual property laws, including copyrighted logos or design
- Parts in bad taste (obviously false, inaccurate, misleading, harassing, racially or ethnically offensive, discriminatory, harmful to minors, used to produce counterfeit goods)
If you have questions about your order or parts and their compliance with these restrictions, please reach out to your account manager or the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org